You may have heard of the Public Health England’s Couch 25K programme that has been hugely popular during the pandemic. Figures showed that between March and June 2020 there were almost one million downloads compared to almost half that the same time last year.
Thousands of individuals have achieved something that they never thought they could do in their life, run without stopping for just over three miles!
Many of them have not run since their school days and many thought they could never run ever!
And many have been successful because the programme enables anybody to slowly and progressively build up fitness session after session, week after week over a period of nine weeks.
That’s not to say it is easy, running can be very demanding on your body especially for an absolute beginner so be prepared for that physical discomfort that any physical exertion can bring. The buzz after every session will be worth it and will give you that motivation to continue.
I want to get going what next?
- Download the One You C25K app on your phone and choose your own personal Trainer.
- Add your goals.
- Enable location access (optional).
- Agree to the terms and conditions – If you do have concerns about exercising or pre-existing conditions talk to a health care professional before starting the programme.
- Begin your journey of becoming a runner and plan your first week!
- Think about when you can get out and do the session.
- Get a friend or a member of your family to join you.
- Although the programme tells you to do three sessions a week over a period of nine weeks don’t worry if you struggle with this. You can simple repeat a session or one of the weeks, still achieving the goal but just over a longer period.
Download the app today: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/